Chuck Close (b. 1940, Monroe, WA) received his B.A. from the University of Washington, Seattle before studying at Yale University School of Art and Architecture (B.F.A., 1963; M.F.A. 1964). Following graduation Close was awarded a Fulbright grant and studied at the Akademie der Bildenen Kunste, Vienna; he began working from photographs at this time. In 1967 Close moved to New York City where, one year later, Close began black and white portrait painting. Soon thereafter his work was included in the “1969 Annual Exhibition of Contemporary American Painting”-marking Close’s first inclusion in a museum exhibition-and in 1970 Close received his first solo show. Nearly ten years later, during the late Seventies and early Eighties, Close began oil paintings and photography-based portrait series.